Onshore renewable energy in the UK provides the opportunity for clean, sustainable energy generation. Ainsworth Civils build access roads, wind turbine foundations, cable tracks, FRC structures and substations in this sector. Working with Birse Civils Limited, Ainsworth Civils constructed five wind turbine bases for Renerco at the Earls Hall Wind Farm in Clacton, Essex, with all delivery milestones achieved.
AC&E also built 4 turbine bases at Tilbury Port for Balfour Beatty working for SSE Plc renewables. Much of the work in this sector involves Ainsworth Civils formwork and reinforced concrete services which are conducted by teams of experienced carpenters, steelfixers and foremen.
Building wind farms and their site access roads can provide many varied challenges for the civil engineer, especially due to the remote locations of the sites. Ainsworth Civils conduct extensive evaluations to minimise the environmental, construction and cost impact of any works on site to ensure smooth running of all works. Strict adherence to health and safety regulations also provides a safe working environment for all persons on site.
Examples of the type of work completed in the renewables sector are listed below:
- FRC wind turbine bases
- Civils and FRC works for new site access roads and extensions
- Footpaths and general hard standings
- Civils and FRC works for new concrete tanks and sectional steel tanks
- Site bridges and culverts
- General works extensions including pump and valve chambers
- New reinforced concrete hard standings
- Concrete remedials, core drilling and concrete cutting
- Deep drainage and pumping station construction
- Hydropower FRC structures
Projects completed to dateFive turbine bases in Clacton Essex
Customer: Birse Civils Ltd and Renerco
Four bases in Tilbury Docks
Customer: Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering Limited and SSE Plc
Halo lamp column bases at the Queen Elizabeth II Olympic Park
Customer: Blu-3 for BAM Nuttall & London Legacy Development Corporation
Concrete remedials at Cory Environmental Riverside Operations energy from waste plant
Customer: Cory Environmental